Saturday, September 25, 2010

Are we being fair to Obama? and What is the American Dream anyway?


Being this my first post for this blog I feel I should introduce myself. My name is Ale and I was born and raised in Mexico City. In 2002 I decided that the time to explore the world had arrived and left to Spain to get a masters degree. During that time I applied to Arizona State University (ASU) and got accepted to continue my masters. This is the reason why I moved to USA. Lived in Arizona for about 7 year and moved to Massachusetts in January 2010.

Since I moved right in the middle of the winter, my husband and in-laws were kind enough to give me time to find my way in my new city. I didn’t look for a job until July 2010. What a great experience! I read a ton of books, felt in love with the area, enjoyed the summer and had time to think about what to do next my professional life.

August came along and got a job, an apartment and now I am definitely on my way to build some memories on this place. So far I LOVE to live here. The intellectual stimulation you get from living in a city with so much culture and history is amazing.

Now, coming back to the title of this post.  I was recently watching TV and caught a piece on some people asking Obama if the American Dream was over for them. It was follow by the list of complaints on lack of jobs and investment on projects, the economy is not moving forward and etcetera.

The thoughts that came to my mind were…Are we being fair to Obama? This reminds me a lot about the time that Mexico changed ruling parties after more than 70 years! Yes, Vicente Fox was the first President in Mexico that belonged to the opposition (this happened in 2000). Anyway, obviously the party that lost the elections did everything on their power to boycott whatever Fox was trying to do at that time, plus the lack of experience and solid team behind him. It was obvious! No one that belonged to another party had held that position in the last 70 + years. But Fox had a ton of good intentions that made him pursue his dream of being the President of his country and change it for the best.

Obama makes me feel the same way. He has good intentions and represents the dreams of many people in this country. But my feeling is that Americans had forgotten that they gave the power to Bush for 8 years and he made many decisions that lead this country to its current state. It wasn’t Obama! Now it is his job to fix it and fix it fast. I am not saying that all his decisions have been right so far…but Are Americans really expecting Obama to shake his magic wand and fix everything that is not working? Just like that? It is not magic! It will take time and work, hard work from everybody.

That brings me to my other question. What is the American Dream anyway? If we are expecting to go back to 4 or 6 years ago where you could get credit and go and buy a house even if you didn’t have a steady job then, no, we are not going back to that. If we want to live on credit all the time without savings for emergencies…no, we are not going back to that either. But if the American Dream is the possibility of buying a home, walking on the streets feeling safe, choosing to go to school or not and still have a decent way of living, then we can make it happen again, with time and effort.

I will leave it at that for now…

3 comments:

  1. Alejandra, hello. I have been neglectful of leaving comments and am here today to begin correcting that. Have I mentioned I'm so happy that you're blogging and that I love your new blog title and the look of the page? All great stuff!

    What a great post. You could have kicked off this new site with a post about Boston or what you're doing in the day to day, but you begin by looking at the bigger picture and talking about something that impacts every single person who calls this country home. Many Americans are unhappy with where we are today as a county, but they just want to be able to interject that emotion without doing their homework, forming logical opinions or coming up with real ideas for a solution. I think many people who want to be part of the dialog take the easy road out. They passionately quote a CNN or Fox news sound bite to give themselves a voice, without digging into the issues, looking at the path that got us here and understanding the work required for lasting change. Many Americans who have been down on Obama do just that. They are frustrated with where things are, but they jump on the band wagon that it's his fault. We were in a dire situation when he took office, and while he may not make perfect decisions every time, I think his administration saved us from a total economic meltdown. You're here today asking great questions and raising some excellent points. Your candor and critical thinking on the matter is a refreshing change of pace in an otherwise often dull national conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you love your new town! Ellen and I were in Boston back in June and I really liked it. Lots of history combined with fun, funky local business. Loving where you live is so important and I'm glad that you both found one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! It is indeed very important to love and enjoy the place where you live. I moved here during the winter and hated every minute of it but when the Spring came my outlook changed. Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete